What is the IHP+ monitoring framework?
The 2016 IHP+ monitoring framework has a strong focus on country-based reporting and on changes in behaviour in aid provided to the health sector. The 2016 monitoring framework takes into account the 2014 IHP+ monitoring framework and the 2016 GPEDC monitoring framework and focuses on eight effective development cooperation (EDC) practices:
- EDC practice 1. A strong single national health strategy is supported by both government and development partners; they agree on priorities reflected in the national health strategy, and underpinning sub-sector strategies, through a process of inclusive development and joint assessment, and a reduction in separate exercises.
- EDC Practice 2. Resource inputs are recorded on the national health budget and in line with national priorities, with predictability of government and development partner funding.
- EDC Practice 3. Financial management systems are harmonized and aligned; requisite capacity building done or underway, and country systems strengthened and used.
- EDC Practice 4. Procurement/supply systems are harmonized and aligned, parallel systems phased out, country systems strengthened and used with a focus on best value for money. The definition of national ownership can include use of global procurement systems.
- EDC Practice 5. Joint monitoring of process and results is based on one information and accountability platform; joint processes for mutual accountability on EDC are in place, such as Joint Annual Reviews or compact reviews.
- EDC Practice 6. Technical support is strategically planned and provided in a well-coordinated manner; opportunities for systematic learning between countries are developed and supported by agencies (south-south and triangular cooperation).
- EDC Practice 7. Civil society operates within an environment which maximizes its engagement in and contribution to health sector development
- EDC practice 8. Private sector operates within an environment which maximizes its engagement in and contribution to health sector development*
(*) The 8th practice on private sector engagement has been added by IHP+R in consultation with IHP+
The 8 practices will be assessed by specific indicators for governments and development partners. EDC practice 7 also involves civil society organisations. And EDC practice 8 involves the private sector.
Why should you participate in IHP+ monitoring?
What does it mean to participate in IHP+ monitoring?
What are the outputs and how can we use them?